Saturday, February 22, 2020

McVegan and Me


I just had to do it. I had to go to a McDonald’s to try a McVegan. But I had an excuse, or two. First, I have always been curious about this product since it debuted in Finland (in Tampere) in 2017 and has not yet made it to the U.S. The McVegan thus has an appeal to me because of its connection to Finland. And second, since I was on a quick trip to Rovaniemi, which is 438.02 miles north of Helsinki, and just a few miles south of the Arctic Circle, I had the “why-the-heck-not?” reason. After all, until 2013, the Rovaniemi McDonald’s was the northernmost McDonald’s in the world – until Murmansk in nearby Russia took that title. Murmansk is not on my to-do list, so I took advantage of Rovaniemi. 


I will apologize now for having gone to McDonald’s because, this time around, I have doubled-down on eating more traditional Finnish, and I have done well here even though I am vegetarian. But this is an aberration and will not be a habit. And now, back in Helsinki, I no longer have an easy excuse -- unless I get a desire to try that intriguing Piquant Veggie sandwich I saw advertised.

By the way, the McVegan was not bad, not bad at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment