Saturday, February 26, 2022

Winter-weather running

 


Running in Helsinki does not take a break for weather. If you did, you would not be able to run for at least 3-4 months of the year. Helsinki runners are out there in conditions that would normally keep me home with my shoes off in Indiana. And shoveling.

For one thing, when it snows in Helsinki, there is not much shoveling going on. Major streets sort of get cleared at times, but sidewalks and paths just get the gravel treatment. Gravel does not melt snow, and gravel is only mildly effective until it is squashed into the snow (often) or snowed upon again (frequent).

I have never run before in the states when there was snow on the ground. And now I have discovered that, in Helsinki, snow on the ground means that is is a good time to run...because if you are not running on snow, you are probably running on ice. And running on ice is only possible if you are wearing spike shoes or strap-on spikes. There is no other way, and I have tried but have proven that without it is an insane activity that would eventually maim you.

But now I am a dedicated snow and ice runner; strap-on-spikes are the best 20-euro bargain I have ever made in Finland. However, I cannot get too proud of my winter-weather running. As I run in snow and sleet over slosh and ice, I am reminded that I am no-big-deal by all the mothers strolling their babies and the dog walkers that I pass . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment