Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Ten things I do not like about living in Helsinki


After five months I feel I can make a fair judgment on what I like and what I don't like in Helsinki. I want to start with what I do not like, just to get it over with -- because there is so much more that I like. However, I will limit myself to 10 items for both categories. Sigh. I need to make this list of 10 things I don't like as quickly as possible: for every day that I am now away from Helsinki, I miss it even more.

So here is what I don't like about living in Helsinki:

Cigarette butts. A lot of people in Helsinki smoke. They smoke outside, of course, but they still smoke, either standing around or strolling along. The smell of cigarette smoke is a common scent that you finally get used to. What is hard to get used to is the evidence of so much smoking. Popular venues in Helsinki where people naturally congregate (bus stops, tram stops, etc.) can often be outdoor ashtrays.




Rye bread. It is a tradition, it is respected, it is commonly consumed. As an American, I have had less contact with rye bread, and less time to build up a taste for this Finnish staple unless it is masked by a slathering of some condiment or sauerkraut. 






Group seating on trams. The newer tram models have groupings of seats that face each other, two on a side, separated by a small table. Four people sitting in these seats can barely keep their knees from touching those opposite them. Awkward when a stranger sits opposite. More awkward when this enforced socialization continues for several tram stops and, as an American, you have to resist the urge to start a random conversation (which is not the Finnish thing to do).


Gray skies. So we don't have gray skies in the US? Of course we do. But in a strange city where gray skies are common in winter during your few hours of daylight, you really start to miss hints of blue.







Graffiti. Helsinki is a big city with lots of concrete. How can I blame it for accumulating that scourge of any big city? I still don't like it, however. 






Street signs. A good map and a GPS are wonderful accessories when getting around Helsinki. Street signs are not found on poles at street corners or any place else that would easily be visible. Instead, street signs are found on the sides of the corner buildings. So you have to go a bit farther at timers to know what street you are on. And you have to have good eyesight, because space is not wasted on large street signs.







New York Yankees. If any Helsinkian is going to be wearing a baseball cap (my favorite type of hat), it is invariably a cap with a New York Yankees logo. I am from Kansas City, and I have not gotten over 1978 yet (and a few other years). You can't get away from the Yankees even in Helsinki.






 Pastries. Actually I love pastries. What I don't like about Helsinki pastries is that they are too big, too good, and too tempting. Living in a foreign city makes it seem like you can eat what you want whenever you want. Well, you can't.And it eventually starts to show.


  


English. Most English-speaking visitors love that everyone speaks English and that English is commonly seen on advertisements and posters. I would not have survived if not for the English skills of the Finns I encountered in everyday situations (at the store, at the bank, etc.). But it made it too easy to avoid speaking Finnish. And seeing English plastered all over town kept reminding me that we visitors were not considered capable of learning Finnish as readily as we wanted. 






People respect your privacy. People don't bother you by telling you what you are supposed to know. Isn't respect of your privacy a good thing? It usually is -- but sometimes in Helsinki I would have really benefited if someone would have respected my privacy less and just told me what I needed to know. Really, I would not have minded if someone told me about where I was supposed to be and what I was supposed to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment