Friday, March 6, 2020

My survey on doors is *not* complete

Last time I wrote: "My survey on doors is complete. Every American I asked confessed to having trouble with Finnish doors."

I was wrong. I should continue the survey.

I was with some of my students as I struggled to unlock our classroom door. The students were all international, but no Americans. Several students mentioned, with no prompting, that Finnish doors were difficult. We then shared our common struggles with Finnish doors. How enlightening.

Some time back I had realized that I was not the only one who suffered this incapacity, but I then I considered this problem with doors to be unique to Americans. This Finnish door-fail situation appears to be international in scope! It is just something we all don't admit.

There is only one solution to this portal paranoia that seems to obsess me: printed instructions in several languages on every public door. Those are the only doors I feel confident using.

No comments:

Post a Comment