Monday, August 12, 2013

A slap in the face for .99 euros

Sometimes I like to know what I have done after I have done it. For example, I like to figure out some of those items on my grocery receipt, you know, the items that I just bought. Some of the Finnish words I already know (parsakaali is broccoli), some words I can figure out (kuskus), but some words are completely mysterious. I evidently bought something called a "korvapuusti" this morning but I couldn't remember what it was -- so of course I tried to Google Translate the word when I got home. Yes, I'm aware of the poor quality of computer translations, but this was just one word, for goodness sake. Usually not a problem. So I took a chance. The Google Translate answer was: "slap in the face." And this slap in the face cost only .99 euros, which made it quite a bargain! However, I swear I wasn't attacked in the grocery store. And, besides, I doubt if anyone in Helsinki would slap me in the face for less than 5 euros. Translate fail. Lesson: Be aware that even the simplest Finnish words can be easily mistranslated. So how to find out what I really bought? I just plain Googled it and was sent to the Wikipedia page for cinnamon roll, which included a nice picture of a korvapuusti. Which really means "slap on the ear," by the way. Or at least that's what Wikipedia says, and its picture resembles something I actually did purchase. I also bought a "rahkatasku" for .89 euros -- but I am still working on that word.

No comments:

Post a Comment