Sunday, August 11, 2013

How do you turn this on?

Turning things on and off is an important and usually incredibly simple skill. Very intuitive, especially after decades of practice. Turn a knob, push a button, click something, clap your hands (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clapper), etc. So nothing makes one feel more frustrated when that skill is lacking. All I wanted to do the first day we arrived in Finland was to turn on the burner of an electric stove, an UPO. Four knobs, four burners. Two knobs for the oven. One extra knob that seemed to serve as a timer. Should have been easy, and that is what I assumed. Half an hour later, I was almost ready to give up. No amount of turning those different knobs seemed to work. The oven was no issue; I got that turned on right away. But I didn't think I should try to boil water in the oven.

I had instructions -- but all in Finnish. I was almost ready to try clapping. Finally, by some effort and pure luck, I read on www.upo.fi (with the help of Google Translate) in the section on "cookers" (it wasn't the best translation) about "safety" and "timer." So that is what the extra knob was for. The burners would not turn on unless the timer was turned on…for safety! When the timer goes off, so do the burners.  No burners get left on for kids (or me) to place their hands upon later and receive 3rd-degree burns. No way do I turn on the burners, leave the apartment, and wonder hours later if I turned them off before leaving. And so now I can boil water on demand in Helsinki.

No comments:

Post a Comment