Sunday, January 23, 2022

Once again: Finnish doors

My survey on doors is ongoing. I can't believe that Finnish doors are the most frequent topic of my blog posts, starting back on September 21, 2013: "You have a 50/50 chance to succeed"

And resuming with "Another time around in Finland" (February 17, 2020)...and then:

"My survey on doors is complete" (March 1, 2020)

"My survey on doors is *not* complete" (March 6, 2020)

I will be brief: I have not mastered Finnish doors in my absence (lack of practice is my excuse). And it is not just me. I see my wife, Jane, experience that same moment that I do every day -- even using the same door one has used countless times before.

You come up to a door, reach for the handle, and then make a face and a low "hmmmm" sound when you pull instead of push, or you push instead of pull.

It is a hard feeling to describe -- a mixture of surprise, confusion, and even embarrassment at your continued failure at the 50/50 odds that you would gladly accept in Las Vegas. I still get a bit nervous at the approach to any door handle, and I really have begun to appreciate the amount of self-opening doors in Helsinki...although I did get stuck in one of those self-opening rotating doors...but that is a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment